Sunday 30 January 2011

Rollin on dubs in Dublin!

Yet another country and city come and gone, but this time I found somethings a little too familiar...

For example, the first pub I see in Ireland is the Beaumont House! Really? Okay...


Of course one has to become acquainted with local news, just to get the mood set. But really? Drink driving? Come on, that doesn't even make sense!


Easily one of the most impressive things in Dublin I saw right away, the 'Long Room' library at Trinity College. Something like 200 years old, dozens of huge bookcases filled with I think 200 000 books. The entire place is wood paneled, all warped and tilted, very cool. They even have the oldest harp in Ireland that the national symbol is modeled after. You'll have to excuse the picture, you're not really allowed to take pictures, I had to be ultra sneaking and the lighting isn't very good for photos, but I think you will get the idea.


Just outside the library was something I could have sworn I've seen before. Turns out that the Vatican had given the college an identical, but smaller, sphere to the one located in the Vatican museum. This one also spins (I tested).


Turns out that the Irish have a sense of humor:


The next day, on the way to a famous and historically relevant jail, I managed to take the wrong bus... 40 minutes in the wrong direction! Opps!

But on the positive side, I got the best seat on the double decker (same buses as London, just yellow) and an extended tour of Irish suburbs. I don't think I saw a single piece of grass. As you can see the roads are narrow (lots of parking on the curb) and the 'yards' are mostly all paved into driveways.


Heading back into the city (on the correct bus), you get a great view of the Spire of Dublin (originally called the millennium spire, but having been finished several years late, it didn't seem to fit...). I guess its the tallest 'sculpture' in the world, whatever. I think what it's best known for is a reference point for drunk people stumbling out of bars, as it has a bright light at the top.


I learned a lot about the history of English prisons at the Kilmainham jail. Mostly that if jails were as bad as they were back then, we would have far less criminals. But as there are rules as to how you can treat prisoners, they created this 'Victorian style' cell room, which I think you will agree is pretty bad ass!


Moving on the the Dublin castle, which isn't much of a castle, as they managed to blow it up in a fire a while ago. But what is left is very castle-like, if you ignore the parking lot around it...


This box is pretty amazing. It used to hold the city seal used for making official documents. It's six-sided and has six keys. All six keys need to be turned at the same time in order to open the box, which is impressive for being built in the middle ages.


Having used to be under British rule, the Mayor of Dublin is actually called 'Lord Mayor' and has to wear this dress and huge gold and silver bling. Imagine in Edmonton, we would have: 'Stephen Mandel, Lord Mayor of Edmonton' hahaha!


Below is I guess a very iconic location for pictures and whatnot in Dublin. But it has a hidden purpose. What it is actually used for is as a helipad for important guests, such as Hilary Clinton.


A perfect example of the attitude toward the current state of Ireland's economy:


I managed to find a 14% beer (yes it's still beer!). Surprisingly it didn't really taste that strong, but you could really feel it!


I had to share this, just lovely!


And now for final thoughts.

Going to Ireland was both fun and enlightening. The pub scene there is amazing. To get real Irish food, you have to go to a pub, as there is no such thing as an 'Irish Restaurant'. Learning about Irish history was great, as it's a story of struggle for freedom and independence. I really developed an appreciation for the emotion that I observed speaking to some locals about politics. From what I understand, people get very involved and emotional when there is an election. That's because not so long ago, they were not their own country, and the British were trying to remove Irish culture from the Earth (a lasting result of that is that English is dominant language, not Irish). Also, the two major political parties are descended from the two sides of their civil war after separation from the British, which makes things tense I suppose!

So once again, I leave more knowledgeable (hopefully that means wise) than when I arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment