Wednesday 7 July 2010

Brussels is Awesome!

I made my way to Brussels over the weekend, it is a pretty cool city.

In comparison to Amsterdam, it has a very different atmosphere. Old Amsterdam is pretty much maintained for rich people and tourists, whereas Brussels was pretty destroyed in WW2 and the old sections weren't really kept, so it is mostly just a functioning modern city. IT does have plenty to see, and I spent a good 1.5 days being entertained.

I got a new computer at work with a gigantic screen, so its easier to upload pictures now, so I will show you a bunch now!

This is the Atomium from the 1958 expo, they refurbished it in the last couple of years so its hella shiny now!


Here's me in front of the Basilica de something...


I could have taken the elevator, but that wouldn't be any fun.

Look what they have done to this poor dinosaur, I guess that is supposed to help attendance at their museum...

The SS logo is a skull, kinda disturbing.

Here's a Nazi uniform
The triumphal arch, which was built in 19 something to signify the independence of Belgium, it has the German flag hanging from it cause they won the day before, thats how much they like football!

Throwing out garbage, Brussels style!

Here's death on a tomestone, whith a bed sheet over him... and its all white marble, pretty bad ass!

Heres probably the most famous Brussels statue other than the Grand Place square, its a little boy peeing, and they dress him up, ya ok...

Here are some restored guild houses(the Nazis bombed the hell out of em)

I don't like how this is spelt.

I found Tintin! Pretty awesome!

Now this one is a very special picture for me, its my first view of a nuclear cooling tower in operation, on the top 5 things I saw in Brussels for sure.

The disgusting interior color scheme of Ryanair, but its alright cause you can pick whatever seat you like, so while everyone rushes toward the center, I sit at the end and get to leave the plane first :)

This is a view of the side of Grand Place, the whole square is shiny cause all of the buildings are gold painted!

I took a video panorama of the square, just cause photos wouldn't have been enough.


Apparently the first hostel I was at wasn't very popular, so I moved to the Van Gogh, which is in a building that Van Gogh used to live and work in, yay...

I met some really cool people, two Canadians, one from Toronto who has made Sweden and now mainland Europe home, and a Montrealer. There were two girls from California and Lithuania who hung out with us too, and made me pasta! My roommate for the night was an American on leave from Afghanistan, his job is to fly around Apache helicopters, way cool!

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. This trip looked awesome. You set the bar high for yourself. You need to keep up the good work, and travel a bunch more. I'm hoping for more blogs like this in the near future. You currently have the best blog, Chris is lagging behind, I'm worried he isn't going to do a very good job of documenting his journeys.

    ReplyDelete