Tuesday 22 June 2010

School, Work and Architecture

I've got a request to tell a bit about my work and some architecture too, so here it goes...(listening to Marky Mark and the funky bunch)

Some of my work in confidential, but I haven't signed the confidentiality agreement yet ;)

I'm doing some thermogravimetric analysis on the oxidation of a common aluminum magnesium alloy. It has applications for improving current methods used to recycle aluminum, which is neat cause it could have significant implications in that field...

If you remember the Vigeland metal from earlier, that is being turned into my samples, which I'll oxidize and collect valuable data... I think, I haven't done anything like that yet, but I should be getting into a good groove next week or so.

Now on to some pics.

I guess Norway is known for its wooden stave churches, and it just so happens there is one by my place.



They also have really strict rules about what new buildings can be made. The result is that all new buildings are really 'artistic', or cool in some way.


Like this condo building, I'd live here.

The power substation they've got by my place is also pretty interesting. It seems to be an old mansion turned into a power station.


My guess is that it is something left over from the war, as all of those occupation war items were either destroyed or turned into 'no-so-glorious' government buildings, like the sub pens they have in the bay which is now an archive for the government. They even painted it a hideous pink!

The university buildings also follow the same trend as the rest of town, and are pretty cool and modern looking, with some pretty sweet pedways. FYI, NTNU is mostly a materials science and engineering school with 30 000 students, thats a lot of Mat E's!



A cool dicotomy that is present here in Trondheim is that the buildings are either cool modern/industrialist or they are old stone, perfectly displayed by the main administration building, a stone castle-like building. Just compare that to the GSB (general services building) at the U of A!

1 comment:

  1. Keep the good work up Darcy! I'm enjoying seeing a bit more of Norway.
    I think that Fort McMurray should take up the rule to have artistic/original buildings. All of the apartments and condos look exactly the same.

    ReplyDelete