Monday 7 June 2010

Weekend Number 2: Part Two

After the fort I decided to check out the old part of town which has the big Cathedral. It's called the Nidaros Cathedral and is the most northern Cathedral in the world... congratulations. For being a relatively small city today, and much smaller in the year 1100, when construction started, I was really impressed by the size of it. Its got a huge wall full of larger-than-life sculptures and really cool flying buttresses.

Flying Buttresses



Choir


Statue covered wall


Some of the statues were of rather interesting characters.

Gandalf Anyone?

So the guy on the left has a flat head, and the guy on the right is holding his?!

As there seemed to be some sort of music festival going on ( there was a choir singing in front of the Cathedral, and another orchestra in the Cathedral's graveyard, and one in the town square, all very good, (I enjoyed a coffee (36 Kroner!) and a waffle (30 Kroner) (cause they just love waffles, they are everywhere))) - there, I think all my brackets are closed.

Anyways, what I was saying was that of the only rap concert going on in the city, I had to stumble upon it, and I decided that it was sooo good I would share it, notice the enthralled croud!

2 comments:

  1. Using that knowledge from Hist391 I see.
    I was thinking more Gollum than Gandalf for that one sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or mabey the Gollum picture is right below the Gandolf one.

    ReplyDelete